SAFETY RECALL 21TA04
POTENTIAL INCREASED BRAKING DISTANCE
CERTAIN 2020 – 2021 MODEL YEAR SUPRA VEHICLES
The subject vehicles are manufactured by BMW. According to BMW, the subject vehicles have been equipped with an engine management software that, under certain specific engine start conditions, could damage a component that provides braking power assistance. In this condition, there could be a loss in the brake assist and an increase in stopping distance. This can lead to an increased risk of a crash.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
- Techstream ADVi (TSADVUNIT)
- Battery Diagnostic Tool (DCA-8000P)
- Toyota Supra Diagnostic Cable (01018-00118)
OVERVIEW OF WORK PROCEDURE (REPROGRAMMING USING ISTA)
Software inside the vehicle’s computers are reprogrammed using Toyota ISTA. Reprogramming of ECUs via Toyota ISTA requires that the software version of all the vehicle ECUs to be unified; therefore, reprogramming is always carried out for all ECUs.
It is not possible to select a target ECU and then reprogram it individually. Always follow the directions of this document when carrying out reprogramming work in order to prevent any potential damage to the ECUs due to by communication errors, voltage drops, or other problems.
SAFETY RECALL 21TA04 – Potential Increased Braking Distance – 2020-2021 Toyota Supra
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V598-0804
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Latest Recalls Documents
For the Latest and Most Recent Recalls Information Visit the link below…
Toyota, Scion, and Lexus ECMs can be reprogrammed with the TIS Techstream, Techstream Lite, Diagnostic Tester, or can also be reprogrammed using a Toyota validated J2534 interface. Vehicle recalibration requires the use of the following:
- TIS Professional Level Subscription
- Personal Computer running Microsoft Windows XP/2000 or later operating system
Toyota strongly recommends USING ONLY VALIDATED INTERFACE DEVICES that appear on this list.
Toyota works closely with J2534 interface manufacturers to ensure that their hardware works safely and efficiently with our products. Every device listed on this page has been thoroughly tested and validated on Toyota, Scion, and Lexus vehicles.
It is important to understand that only the specific devices, firmware, DLLs and APIs listed here have been tested by Toyota. We do not recommend use of any other J2534 device, firmware, DLL or API that is not listed here. Changes to J2534 hardware/software is outside of Toyota’s control; in some cases, changes made to device hardware/software can negatively impact reprogramming performance. Toyota makes every effort to continue to work with J2534 interface manufacturers to ensure continued product compatibility as our respective products evolve.
J2534 Approved Device Application Chart
|Flasher LT-Import||Bosch Diagnostics||01.02.07||01.02.07||04.04||8.8||B, C, D, E|
|Flasher PRO||Bosch Diagnostics||01.09.18||01.09.18||04.04||8.8||B, C, D, E|
|Mastertech VCI||Bosch Diagnostics||184.108.40.206||220.127.116.11||04.04||Testing in Progress||B, C, D, E|
|VSI-2534||Dearborn Group||1.112||2.05.22||04.04||8.10||C, D|
||Drew Technologies||01.09.18||01.09.18||04.04||8.8||B, C, D, E|
|Mongoose MFC||Drew Technologies||01.02.07||01.02.07||04.04||8.8||B, C, D, E|
|Mongoose PRO||Drew Technologies||18.104.22.168||22.214.171.124||04.04||8.16||A, B, C, D|
|Pass Thru Pro II||Snap-On||01.09.18||01.09.18||04.04||8.8||B, C, D, E|
*Original validated firmware/DLL versions may be superceded by the device manufacturer. Contact the device manufacturer if you are unable to find the versions listed above.
Supported Operating Systems
|A||Windows 8 (32-bit; 64-bit)|
|B||Windows 7 (32-bit; 64-bit)|
|C||Windows VISTA Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate|
|D||Windows XP Pro SP1 or later|
|E||Windows 2000 SP2 or later|
For more information about the J2534 devices listed above, click on the vendor names. To report compatibility problems with listed hardware/software, please contact the device manufacturer.
Obtaining Calibration Files
ECU Calibrations are now available for download directly from TIS. A valid TIS Professional Level subscription is required to access Calibration files. These files are compatible with the above mentioned scantools and J2534 interfaces. The Calibration page, located on the Diagnostics tab in the TIS site, contains all the most current vehicle calibration files, applicable Service Bulletins, and instructions for use. Select the following link for step by step instructions to access this page.
- 🆚LAUNCH X431 PRO5 scan tool Upgrade all functions of X431 PRO3/X-431 Throttle III/X431-TorqueIII/X431 V+, PROS V+, PAD3. ⓵ J2534 ECU Programming &Online functions directly connect to OEM server, 50+ reset same as X-431 Throttle;⓶Bi-directional control and All system diagnostics as Snap-on scanner; ⓷ Support 150+ brands Vehicles (include CAN/CAFD/DoIP/HD protocols and AutoAuth for FCA SGW) ⓸Powered by 8-core processor(1.8GHz), Android9.0 OS, 2.4 & 5GHz WiFi connection.
- 🚜[J2534 Reprogramming With FREE SMARTBOX 3.0】Save more than $2000, LAUNCH X431 PRO5 support J2534/DOIP/CANFD/HD protocols (Needn’t buy HDIII Module,Manufacture software and non-16pin adaptors need to be purchased separately.) Download OEM software from the manufacturer’s server to 1) program data to blank/used ECUs; 2) Reflash ECUs with data loss; 3)Upgrade ECU software version. As a wireless VCI allowing the vehicle to transmit data to the diagnostic tablet without a physical connection.
- 👏[50+ Reset, Continuously Updated Reset Functions]: With the LAUNCH diagnostic tool, You will never be bothered by tricky vehicle issues and keep pace with newer technology. 50 commonly reset functions ( in the quick page ) reaching into the smallest parts to root out the problems. Extra 300+ repair functions ( in-vehicle catalog) for specific models extend the capability to reset, regeneration, initiation, matching, etc. (Functions vary by models, configurations, and systems.)
- 🌐[One stop Intelligent Diagnostic Tool]: LAUNCH X431 PRO5 obd2 scanner Bluetooth provides Repair Tips, Repair Assist, Component Measurement, TSB, Relevant Cases DTC Analysis to simplify complex diagnostic and achieve the trouble-free repair. 🤩[One Scanner For Multiple Uses]: LAUNCH diagnostic tool PRO5 collaborates with add-on modules (ADAS, Videoscope, TSGUN, X-ProG3, WiFi Pinter, Battery Tester) to expand business applications and improve diagnostic accuracy.
- 👍【2023 New OE Level Online Functions 】Bidirectional Scan Tool offers you various high-end online functions, which enable you to access the online data to do fast & complicated vehicle repairs, e.g. 1) ECU Coding for replacing, match, relearn, recode new ECU modules; 2) Online Coding for BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche, Benz to surf OEM data; 3) VAG Guided functions ease complex issues; 4) Personalization & ADAS improving car performance and driving safety.
- 🌐【Works with Autel MK908, MS908(S/Pro), MK908P, MaxiSys Elite】Autel J2534 work with these tools to program ECUs on specific BMW/ BENZ for specific functions. ★★NOTE: J2534 CANNOT directly work with these single devices. After you received the J2534, you HAVE TO send us both the S/N(12 digits) of your scanner MS908S(etc.) and J2534. So, technically, Autel engineers can help you bind J2534 with your devices. If need any supports, contact us via: 🚘auteldirect @ outlook. com🚘.
- 🌐【SAE J2534-1 & J2534-2 Standards】Autel MaxiFlash Elite J2534 is a fully compliant SAE J2534-1 & SAE J2534-2 (March 2006) device, which performs standard PassThru J2534 functionality: Compatible with for Toyota Techstream, Volvo VIDA, Honda HDS, Jaguar-Land Rover IDS and BMW 3G for OEM diagnostics. Autel MaxiFlash J2534 is also specially designed to provide users with P-C communication and ECU reprogramming capabilities on any modern vehicle diagnostic bus, reliability and flexibility.
- 🌐【High-speed Transmission Speed】Autel MaxiFlash Elite Reprogramming Device J2534 supports simultaneous communication definition in J2534-1, running 3 protocols at the same time, which greatly improves reprogramming and diagnostic speed. Embedded with the ARM9 Dual-core processor (clocked up to 500MHz), which further boosts the communicating speed to save more times and win more business.
- 🌐【Multiple Devices Connected with PC】Autel MaxiFlash Elite J2534 also supports multiple device connections to the PC, which can operate diagnostic and reprogramming functions on more than one vehicle at the same time. Autel MaxiFlash Elite J2534 built-in wireless and data storage, which can update via Internet. It also ensures quickly reprogramming even the newest controllers.
- 🌐【Extensive Compatibility】Autel MaxiFlash J2534 is compatible with Toyota Techstream, Volvo VIDA, Honda HDS, Jaguar-Land Rover IDS and BMW 3G for OEM diagnostics. To check compatibility, please contact 🚘auteldirect @ outlook . com🚘 directly for satisfaction-guaranteed support!
- ALL OF THE J2534 PROTOCOLS - This single unit has all of the protocols you need for your OEM J2534 reprogramming and diagnostics including the latest in DoIP and CanFD
- J2534 TECHNICAL SUPPORT - FREE for the life of the tool. Staffed by technicians who understand vehicle repair and J2534 Pass‑thru
- TOOLBOX WITH OEM APPLICATION DESCRIPTIONS - educational video tutorials and real-time news – Giving you the confidence and up-to-date knowledge to get the job done
- J2534 v05.00 API - The newest version of J2534 to give you the latest in pass-thru technology
- FUTURE PROOF WITH 4 CAN CHANNELS - Going beyond the 3 required by select Chrysler/FCA models, CarDAQ-Plus 3 also provides a 4th to meet the needs of future OEM applications
- 🚗【2024 MaxiCOM MK908 Pro II】Updated of the old version MK908P, MS908S Pro, Autel released the enhanced version MK908 Pro II (No-IP limited ver. of MaxiSYS MS908S PRO II) to bring you a brand-new experience at the same cost. 1) Hardware upgrade: Qualcomm 660, 4+128GB, the latest Android 10, etc.2) Advanced features: J2534 programming, coding, active test, 10+ newly added features. 3) Broader coverage: 150+ brands, FCA AutoAuth. One device can totally support all the needs of a repair shop.
- 🚗【J2534 ECU Programming and OE-Level Coding】2023 MK908P II auto scanner, same as Elite II shares the coding and programming functions with Elite. J2534 ECU programming is designed for B-M-W and Mercedes, allowing you to do online programming directly. Along with the ability to code online and activate hidden features for Benz, BMW, A-udi, Porsche, VW, Nissan, Infiniti, Hyundai, and other major brands, OBD2 scanner MK908P II is definitely an top scanner that will win more orders.
- 🚗【40 Service for 150+ brands】Same as the OE scanners like snap-on, maxisys ultra ms919 scanners, Autel MK908P II has strong service capability and can go deep into every part to perform matching and resetting functions. What is better than the OE tools is that 36 services are not just for one specific brand, but for over 150 makes, covering 99% of the models from 1996-2023. MK908P 2 also supports AutoAuth, and Renault SGW, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues.
- 🚗【All System Diagnosis & Comprehensive Report】Code reader MK908PRO II, same as elite ii pro, is a professional automotive diagnostic tool compatible with all systems diagnostics. It can diagnose all symptoms of faulty parts, including reading and clearing DTC. View a live data stream from every system. That real-time data means no delay in getting to work. Pre and post-scan reports keep your clients informed of the repair details and provide them with the evidence to settle insurance claims.
- 🚗【Active Test Gives In-depth Knowledge of Cars】Unlike conventional mechanic scanners, escaner automotriz professional MS908S PRO II MK908P II allows users can get access to the vehicle subsystem and output commands to the related ECU, thus driving the actuators to perform a specific function and determining the integrity of the system or parts. Monitor the operation of the actuators for accurate diagnostics, such as switching a solenoid, relay, or switch, between two operating states.
- 👍[New & Outstanding X431 PRO5 Scanner] LAUNCH X431 PRO5 scan tool, upgrade of LAUNCH X431 PRO3 & X431 V+ PRO, configures a SmartBox 3.0 VCI (J2534/DoIP/CAN FD compliant) that performs online programming for BMW & Benz models as OEM level. More powerful features: Online Coding for Porsche/Audi, Heavy-duty Truck Diagnostics, VAG Guided Functions, 50+ Services, etc., bring ease & efficiency. Powerful software even covers online diagnostics for FCA cars & newer model data.
- [J2534 Programming with Smartbox3.0] If you’re seeking all-in-one solutions for car ECU tuning needs, LAUNCH X431 PRO5 programming tool is ready to work for you. Support online programming for BMW&Benz and hold exclusive programming backup/restoration. Come with a Smartbox 3.0 device of J2534 standard and pair with a PC to download OEM software to upgrade the ECU software, which maximizes the vehicle performance and minimizes diagnostic problems.
- [ECU Coding Customizes All You Want] With top of the tech instruction and vehicle data, LAUNCH X431 PRO5 diagnostic scanner performs well in ECU Coding and makes everything easier 1) recode adaptive data after ECU replacement 2) personalization/retrofit to improve car comfort: deactivate auto start-stop or change interior lights 3) coding data backup/reserve 4) online coding for BMW/Benz/Porsche/VW/Skoda/Seat 5) online matching/calibration for VW/for Audi, etc.
- [Huge Vehicle Software Database] LAUNCH scanner PRO5 can be nominated as a powerful troubleshooter for 99% of post 1996-automobiles. Provide abundant exclusive functions for effortless diagnostics: Benz/BMW Data Backup/Restoration; Benz/BMW Manual Mode Programming; Benz SCN Coding/Variant Coding; BMW Coding (with newer data to 2022.03); AutoAuth for FCA SGW(2018 later); Various Online Coding Data for VW/for Audi, etc. 2-Year free updating will keep renewing the data for more vehicles.
- [AutoAuth Access & 50+ Services] Partnered AutoAuth FCA US, LAUNCH scanner can directly login to the AutoAuth account and secure check (reading DTC, active test, reset functions, etc.) for FCA vehicles. 50+ services that are needed for repair shops have been packed in X431 PRO5 auto scanner, such as Hot functions (Oil Reset, EPB Reset, SAS Reset, ABS Bleeding, etc.) and Comprehensive functions (High Voltage Battery Diagnostics, Transport Mode),
- [J2534 COMPLIANT] - The Mastertech II is a J2534-1 and J2534-2 compliant VCI for OEM reprogramming and diagnostic applications
- [FULLY VALIDATED BY TOP 6 OEMS] - Mastertech II has been fully validated to operate with the top 6 OEM reprogramming applications: GM, Ford, FCA, Nissan/Infinity, Honda/Acura, and Toyota/Lexus
- [PRE-CONFIGURED] - The pre-configured wireless and wired connections make it quick and easy to connect to a vehicle from your PC (requires PC compliant with OE specifications and software)
- [RIGHT TO REPAIR] - Supports 'Right to Repair' (R2R) initiatives
- [COMPREHENSIVE KIT] - Kit includes: VCI, WiFi adapters (wireless PC to VCI), J1962 Cable (connect to vehicle), USB cable (connect to PC for firmware updates and setup), and Quick Start Guide
- 【As a multi-protocol Pass-Thru vehicle interface】MaxiFlash Elite is a fully compliant SAE J2534-1 & SAE J2534-2 (March 2006) device. Specially designed to provide users with convenient PC communication and ECU reprogramming capabilities on any modern vehicle diagnostic bus, MaxiFlash Elite offers the most significant features desired by OEM customers: reliability, fast performance and flexibility.
- 【MaxiFlash Elite is an accessory tool for MK908P, MS908S Pro】Autel MaxiSys Elite to program ECUs on specific for BMW and for Benz vehicles, in case you lost the J-2534 programmer. ★★NOTE: J2534 CANNOT directly work with these single devices. After you received the J2534, you HAVE TO send us both the S/N(12 digits) of your tablet MS908S(etc.) and J2534. So, technically, Autel engineers can help you bind J2534 with your devices. The functions are NOT universally compatible. Please send VIN number to 🚘email@example.com📧🚘 to check compatibility before your order. If need any supports, Please contact us.
- 【Wireless with advanced networking functions】Built-In Wireless with advanced networking functions and data storage. Fast performance ensures reprogramming even the newest controllers & Internet upgradable and updatable. Autel MaxiFlash Elite is compatiable with MaxiSYS MS908S, MaxiSYS MS908S Pro , MaxiSYS MS908CV, MaxiCOM MK908, MaxiCOM MK908 Pro, MaxiSYS Elite, MaxiSYS Elite II and Personal Computer
- 【SAE J2534-1 & J2534-2 Standards】Autel MaxiFlash Elite J2534 is a fully compliant SAE J2534-1 & SAE J2534-2 (March 2006) device, which performs standard PassThru J2534 functionality: Compatible with for Toyota Techstream, Volvo VIDA, Honda HDS, Jaguar-Land Rover IDS and BMW 3G for OEM diagnostics. Autel MaxiFlash J2534 is also specially designed to provide users with P-C communication and ECU reprogramming capabilities on any modern vehicle diagnostic bus, reliability and flexibility.
- 【Supports simultaneous communication Definition in J2534-1】Autel MaxiFlash Elite Reprogramming Device J2534 supports simultaneous communication definition in J2534-1, running 3 protocols at the same time, which greatly improves reprogramming and diagnostic speed. Embedded with the ARM9 Dual-core processor (clocked up to 500MHz), which further boosts the communicating speed.Rugged aluminum case with non-slip rubber end caps, capable of withstanding harsh environment.
- 👍【Why Choose LAUNCH scanner X431 PRO5】It is the original LAUNCH X431 scan tool, the 2023 upgraded version of PROS V+, X431 PRO3 and V+ 4.0, which is a worthwhile investment for repair shops and mechanics. LAUNCH X431 PRO 5, all is set to OE-level standards with 1) J2534 ECU Programming & 50+ service same as PAD Series; 2) Bi-directional control + All system diagnostics as Snap-on scanner; 3) Online Coding functions directly connect to OEM server; 4) Top-notch Topology Mapping function
- 👍【J2534 Programming with Smart Box 3.0】 What is super SmartBox 3.0 VCI? Worth 1000$, Smart Box 3.0 is backed on new ISO9141/J1850/SAE J2610/CANFD/DOIP, which enables you to run 14x quicker data trans and advanced OEM J2534 reprogramming for B-MW, Ben-z, F-ord, Jaguar, Land Rover, GW, Volvo, etc. (please reach to us for more details). It also serves as a wireless VCI allowing the vehicle to transmit data to the diagnostic tablet without a physical connection.
- 👍【New Released Topology Mapping】Update your X431 PRO 5 to V 7.03.014 to gain Topology Mapping function. This advanced feature, typically found only on tools costing over $3000, provides a comprehensive view of a vehicle's data bus configurations, improving repair efficiency by up to 90%. With just one click, you can gain insights into the layout of a vehicle's system and clear any troubles. Compatibility with your vehicle's brand should be verified by checking the VIN before purchasing.
- 👍【LAUNCH X431 PRO 5 with Powerful 50+ Services】Especially designed for pro mechanics and big repair shops, Launch X431 scanner PRO5 is equipped with 50+ hot reset functions for 150 car makes which same as X431 PAD serious. Easy to navigate and help you do ABS Bleeding, TPMS Reset, Oil Reset, EPB Reset, Suspension, BMS, Injector Coding, IMMO, Power balance, Throttle Matching and more. 🚩Notice: we offer 2-year f ree update while other brands generally 1 year.
- 👍【A-ctive Test + Local-smith Level ECU Coding】Come with appealing bi-directional control to troubleshoot all possible problems for full systems within 5 min.This LAUNCH X431 PRO scanner even develops all practical functions needed by all technicians:1) ECU Coding for replacing, match, relearn, recode new ECU modules;2) Online Coding for B-MW, VW, Porsche, Ben-z to surf OEM data;3) VAG Guided functions ease complex issues;4) Personalization & ADAS improving car performance and driving safety.
- All in one kit. Everything you need to reprogram vehicles in your shop. Includes OEM software and we do the programming for you.
- Stop sending vehicles to the dealer or calling a mobile technician. We do the programming for you.
- Includes hardware, OEM software, voltage maintainer and access to our team of remote experts so vehicles can be reprogrammed in your shop hassle‑free.
- Call to schedule your programming session, plug it in, and we do the rest!
- Currently covers BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai / Kia, Mercedes and Nissan.
- Industry-leading J2534 Pass-Thru Technology: Enabling diagnostics, reprogramming and security functions for dealerships and the independent repair facility. Economical and compact pass-thru devices provides an easy-to-use interface that allows you to repair complex vehicles with OE applications in your shop. Each type (see single branded types above) Mongoose-Plus is engineered to work with one of the following OEM's J2534 applications for Chrysler, Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota, & VW/Audi.
- Supports Current Toyota / Lexus / Scion Vehicles: Enables diagnostics, programming and other “dealer” functions through OEM applications
- NEW Bluetooth Wireless Options Available: Providing wireless connectivity between your laptop and the Mongoose-Plus
- Expert Product Support: Staffed by technicians who understand vehicle repair and J2534 Pass‑Thru applications to help you with any technical setup questions
- Key Registration and Immobilizer Support: Using NASTF Vehicle Security Professional credentials
Last update on 2023-11-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
© 2021 Toyota Motor Sales, USA ◄ IMPORTANT UPDATE ► The attached Technical Instructions have been updated. Refer to the details below. DATE TOPIC September 10, 2021 • A warning about not disturbing the vehicle while it is reprogramming has been added. The most recent update in the attached Technical Instructions will be highlighted with a red box. Please review this notification with your staff to assure that all relevant personnel have been briefed regarding this subject. Thank you for your cooperation. TECHNICAL INSTRUCTIONS SAFETY RECALL 21TA04 POTENTIAL INCREASED BRAKING DISTANCE CERTAIN 2020 – 2021 MODEL YEAR SUPRA VEHICLES The repair quality of covered vehicles is extremely important to Toyota. All dealership technicians performing this recall are required to successfully complete the most current version of the E-Learning course “Safety Recall and Service Campaign Essentials”. To ensure that all vehicles have the repair performed correctly; technicians performing this recall repair are required to currently have completed all of the following courses: • TIN519B – GR Supra New Model Technical Introduction Always check which technicians can perform the repair by logging on to https://www.uotdealerreports.com. It is the dealership’s responsibility to select technicians with the above certification level or greater to perform this repair. Carefully review your resources, the technician skill level, and ability before assigning technicians to this repair. It is important to consider technician days off and vacation schedules to ensure there are properly trained technicians available to perform this repair at all times. 2 I. OPERATION FLOW CHART Install Latest version of Toyota ISTA Less than ISTA version 126.96.36.19976 Did Verify Vehicle Eligibility Check TIS Vehicle Inquiry System to verify vehicle eligibility Covered Not Covered No further action required Check Toyota ISTA Version At least ISTA version 188.8.131.5276 or higher Check Current I-Level Reprogram vehicle Lower than I-Level S18T-21-07-519 Check Current I-Level Campaign Completed Return Vehicle to Customer At least I-Level S18T-21-07-519 or higher At least version S18T-21-07-519 (or higher) Less than I-Level S18T-21-07-519 II. IDENTIFICATION OF AFFECTED VEHICLES • Check the TIS Vehicle Inquiry System to confirm the VIN is involved in this Campaign, and that it has not already been completed prior to dealer shipment or by another dealer. • TMS warranty will not reimburse dealers for repairs completed on vehicles that are not affected or were completed by another dealer. III. BACKGROUND The subject vehicles are manufactured by BMW. According to BMW, the subject vehicles have been equipped with an engine management software that, under certain specific engine start conditions, could damage a component that provides braking power assistance. In this condition, there could be a loss in the brake assist and an increase in stopping distance. This can lead to an increased risk of a crash. IV. PREPERATION A. TOOLS & EQUIPMENT • Techstream ADVi (TSADVUNIT) • Battery Diagnostic Tool (DCA-8000P) • Toyota Supra Diagnostic Cable (01018-00118) 3 V. OVERVIEW OF WORK PROCEDURE (REPROGRAMMING USING ISTA) Software inside the vehicle’s computers are reprogrammed using Toyota ISTA. Reprogramming of ECUs via Toyota ISTA requires that the software version of all the vehicle ECUs to be unified; therefore, reprogramming is always carried out for all ECUs. It is not possible to select a target ECU and then reprogram it individually. Always follow the directions of this document when carrying out reprogramming work in order to prevent any potential damage to the ECUs due to by communication errors, voltage drops, or other problems. VI. WORK PROCEDURE TABLE OF CONTENTS COMPONENTS ·································································································································································································· SECTION VII INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF TOYOTA ISTA ······························································································ SECTION VlII CHECK ISTA LANGUAGE SETTINGS ···································································································································· SECTION IX CHECK ISTA VERSION OF TECHSTREAM ADVi ······································································································ SECTION X ENSURE THAT VEHICLE HAS COMPLETED PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE ······································ SECTION XI PREPARE THE TECHSTREAM AVDi ········································································································································ SECTION XII PREPARE THE VEHICLE ······································································································································································ SECTION XIII CONNECT THE BATTERY CHARGER ···································································································································· SECTION XIV CONNECT THE TECHSTREAM ADVi TO THE VEHICLE ·················································································· SECTION XV CHECK THE I-LEVEL ················································································································································································ SECTION XVI PERFORM THE REPROGRAMMING (UPDATE I-LEVEL) ················································································ SECTION XIII DISCONNECT TOYOTA ISTA ···························································································································································· SECTION XVII PLACE VEHICLE IN SLEEP MODE FOR 15 MINUTES ························································································ SECTION XIX VII. COMPONENTS ENGINE CONTROL COMPUTER UPDATE THE I-LEVEL TO: S18T-21-07-519 (OR GREATER) 4 VIII. INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF TOYOTA ISTA A. INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF TOYOTA ISTA 1. It is CRITICAL to install the latest version of Toyota ISTA on the Techstream ADVi. Your current ISTA version may not be sufficient for this campaign. Minimum* ISTA Version Required for this Campaign: 184.108.40.20676 *Versions of ISTA higher than 220.127.116.1176 are also acceptable. As a best practice you should always download the latest version of ISTA before performing this campaign. 2. Access this URL for instructions on how to download the latest version of ISTA: Toyota ISTA Installation Instructions IX. CHECK ISTA LANGUAGE SETTINGS A. CHECK ISTA LANGUAGE SETTINGS 1. The screenshots in this document were developed using ISTA software configured for “American English”. 2. It is recommended that you ensure your ISTA is configured for “American English” (rather than “British English”) so that the screenshots match your screen. 3. Double-click the icon to start Toyota ISTA. Note: After double-clicking, it takes about 15 seconds for Toyota ISTA to start. Please wait without double-clicking again. 4. The following screen appears. Click “Accept”. 5 5. Click on the Configuration Button as indicated in the illustration. 6. Click on the Client settings tab as indicated in the illustration. 7. Select “American English” 8. Click “OK” 9. ISTA may require a restart for the language change to take effect. 1 2 3 4 6 X. CHECK ISTA VERSION OF TECHSTREAM ADVi A. CHECK ISTA VERSION OF TECHSTREAM ADVi 1. Its CRITICAL to confirm that the ISTA version installed on your Techstream ADVi meets or exceeds version 18.104.22.16876 before proceeding. Your current ISTA version may not be sufficient for this campaign. 2. Double-click the icon to start Toyota ISTA. Note: After double-clicking, it takes about 15 seconds for Toyota ISTA to start. Please wait without double-clicking again. 3. The following screen appears. Click “Accept”. 7 4. Click on the Configuration Button as indicated in the illustration. 5. Click on the Version status tab as indicated in the illustration. 6. Compare the installed verison to the minium reuqired version: 22.214.171.12476. If the version is less than version 126.96.36.19976, install the latest version. XI. ENSURE THAT VEHICLE HAS COMPLETED PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE Make sure that Pre-delivery Service has been completed before this reprogramming. If Predelivery service has not been completed before this reprograming, the reprogramming may not be completed correctly. Refer to T-SB-0083-19 (2020 model year Supra) or T-SB-0038-20 (2021 model year Supra) for Pre-delivery technical instructions. XII. PREPARE THE TECHSTREAM AVDi 1. Ensure the Techsteam software is installed, registered, and up to date 2. Complete all pending Windows updates. 3. Disable any automatic Windows updates and configure antivirus software so that it doesn’t automatically run. 4. Disable all automatic screen savers. 5. Disable “sleep mode” within windows power settings. 6. Close all other applications. 7. Attach the Techstream ADVi directly to an AC Power Supply. 8. DO NOT perform any other functions while Toyota ISTA is reprogramming. 8 XIII. PREPARE THE VEHICLE A. PREPARE THE VEHICLE During reprogramming, each system (lights, mirrors, seats, windows, etc.) will be operated automatically for initialization. If operation is obstructed, a fault code is recorded, and the initialization may not finish normally. To prevent this, follow each instruction displayed on the screen while carrying out work. 1. Before working, make sure the vehicle is parked in a flat location that is not subject to direct sunlight. 2. The ambient temperature has to be higher than 59° F. 3. Allow the temperatures of the engine, transmission, and brake system to fall to the ambient temperature. 4. Set the steering wheel and tires straight ahead position. 5. DO NOT place anything on the windshield so that the wiper can work normally, because the wiper may move automatically during reprogramming for initialization. 9 6. Remove all the inserted and connected data carriers from the vehicle and disconnect the data connections (e.g. Bluetooth paired mobile phones), so they DO NOT interrupt programming by communication or connection. 7. DO NOT place anything on, in front of, or behind the front seats because the front seats move automatically during reprogramming for initialization. 8. DO NOT cover the headlights with protective covers, because temperatures may rise, and the headlights may be deformed or damaged. 9. Set the shift lever to “P”, and then engage the parking brake. 10. Turn off the engine, and set all of the switches of the electrical components to off. 11. Close all doors and the back door, the hood must remain open as the battery charger will need to be connected to the charging terminals during the reprogramming process. 10 XIV. CONNECT THE BATTERY CHARGER A. CONNECT A BATTERY CHARGER 1. Connect the specified battery charger at the locations in the illustration. Battery Charger Mode Voltage Battery Type DCA-8000 Power Supply Mode 13.5-14.6 AGM Before starting the reprogramming procedure, please make sure you have connected the DCA-8000 battery charger. The usage of a charger during the ECU Software update process is mandatory. During this reprogramming the headlights will turn on, and the seats and other electrical components will function. To prevent damage to the ECU’s, due to flat battery or voltage drop, ALWAYS connect the specified battery charger. • Unlike other Toyota vehicles, the Toyota Supra is capable of drawing high amperage (a peak of 70 Amps flows at maximum) during diagnosis and repair. The Toyota Supra is equipped with an AGM type battery, discharges will affect the life span of the battery. AGM batteries must not have a charging voltage that exceeds 14.6 volts. • Always connect the power supply of the battery charger to an outlet directly. If a power strip or other device is used, and multiple electrical components are connected, the battery charger may detect a power supply error due to insufficient current, and it may not be possible to charge the battery. • Make sure that the battery charger is off before connecting it. • Make sure you respect the correct polarity when connecting the battery charger cables like displayed in the illustration below. • DO NOT disconnect the battery charger during reprogramming work. • Observe the instructions of the battery charger manual, and check the dealership electrical system to ensure the circuit of the outlet to be used can operate the battery charger. 11 XV. CONNECT THE TECHSTREAM ADVi TO THE VEHICLE NOTICE: It is an absolute necessity that the vehicle is connected to the Techstream ADVi via the Toyota Supra Diagnostic Cable which has a LAN ethernet connection. In order to maintain successful communication between the Techstream ADVi and the vehicle, the Toyota Supra Diagnostic cable must be used. Other interfaces that connect to the Techstream ADVi via USB are not allowed. Attempting to use such other devices may cause permanent ECU damage due to the slower communication speed. A. CONNECT THE CABLE (connection sequence): 1. Always connect the Supra diagnostic cable first to your PC LAN port (1) and only after that to the OBD port of the vehicle (2). If this order of operations is not respected, possible vehicle communication issues may occur when using Toyota ISTA software. B. POSITION THE CABLE 1. Position the SUPRA diagnostic cable out of the vehicle as shown in the illustration. Otherwise the SUPRA diagnostic cable may be pinched, communication disconnected, and ECU’s permanently damaged. 2. The Toyota Supra Diagnostic cable should always be passed through the position shown in the figure below. If it passes through any other position it is possible that the cable will be damaged. 3. Using the gap between the rear fender and the side garnish, pull the Supra Diagnostic cable to the outside of the vehicle. Please use protective tape for fixation and protection of the cable. 12 Note: DO NOT attempt to pass the ISTA diagnostic cable though the window opening. The window glass may move during reprogramming or initialization. Ensure the cable is out of the path of the front Driver’s seat. During initialization the driver’s seat moves and could damage cable or disconnect the OBDII connector during movement. Additionally, DO NOT attempt to pass the ISTA diagnostic cable through any other position of the door opening as it may cause damage to the cable. 13 XVI. CHECK THE I-LEVEL A. START TOYOTA ISTA 1. Double-click the icon to start Toyota ISTA. Note: After double-clicking, it takes about 15 seconds for Toyota ISTA to start. Please wait without double-clicking again. 2. The following screen appears. Click “Accept”. 14 3. Double-click the operations bar to maximize screen and make the toolbar visible. B. ACTIVATE PAD MODE 1. PAD mode can be activated by pressing the start button 3 times in under 0.8 seconds (very fast, foot off the brake pedal) or by directly connecting the Toyota ISTA software and initiating the vehicle connection. Note: Ensure the pre-delivery service has already been completed on the vehicle. Part of pre-delivery service involves switching of “transportation mode”, which is required before proceeding with this remedy procedure. While the vehicle is in PAD mode all energy monitoring logic will be disabled. The technician must utilize a battery charger to maintain sufficient current during all diagnosis and programming activities. If the battery charger is not connected battery life will be affected and ECU damage could occur. DO NOT open or close the driver’s door during the programming routine. Perform only the vehicle operations indicated on the Toyota ISTA screen. 15 B. NAVIGATE TO I-LEVEL CHECK SCREEN 1. From Toyota ISTA home screen, click “Cases”-> “New” -> “Read out vehicle data”. 2. At the bottom right of the screen, click “Full identification”. 16 3. At the “Connection manager” screen, select the vehicle identification number, and then click “Establish connection”. 17 4. “Background process is being carried out” is started automatically. Note: If the following “Information” dialog box is displayed, click “OK” to continue. 18 5. After clicking “OK”, “Background process is being carried out” continues. 6. “Reading vehicle data” may be displayed 19 7. After “Background process is being carried out” has ended, the “Control unit tree” screen appears. Note: When Fault memory “Present” or “Existing” is displayed at the bottom left of the screen, check for DTCs. Note that this campaign does not cover the diagnostic fees and/or repairs for any DTC’s. 20 Note: If the dialog box in the image appears when the screen changes to “Control unit tree” screen, click “OK” to close the dialog box, and then continue work. Toyota ISTA will attempt to establish a data exchange with the central server. In the absence of an available connection route (because of no Internet connection is available or the PC connection isn’t setup), Please verify your connection and click “OK”. 21 C. CHECK I-LEVEL 1. Select “Vehicle details”. 2. The “Vehicle details” screen appears. Check the displayed “Current I level:”, and then refer to the table below to determine if the vehicle requires reprogramming. 3. Confirm if the vehicle requires reprogramming based upon the “Current I-Level” of the vehicle. Use the decoder below. Result “Current I-Level” of Vehicle Required Action NG Lower than S18T-21-07-519 REPROGRAMMING REQUIRED. Continue with this procedure. OK Equal to or Greater than S18T-21-07-519 WORK IS COMPLETE. Reprogramming is not required. Refer to page 34 for instructions on closing out of ISTA and disconnecting the diagnostic cable. How to Decode I-Level Superiority 1: Series (vehicle model) 2: Year Released 3: Month Released 4: Serial Number EXAMPLE: Lower: S18T-19-03-585 Higher: S18T-19-07-555 In the example, S18T-19-07-555 is higher than S18T-19-03-585 because it was released in a later month (July compared to March). I-Level: 22 XVII. PERFORM THE REPROGRAMMING (UPDATING I-LEVEL) A. PERFORM THE REPROGRAMMING 1. Perform the reprogramming if the vehicle’s current I-Level is lower than S18T-21-07-519. 2. Select “Service plan” – > “Programming plan”. 3. The screen changes to the “Action plan” screen and “Please wait” message appears. 4. After the “please wait” message closes and the screen changes, click “Perform action plan”. Note: After clicking “Perform action plan”, carry out the on-screen instructions of Toyota ISTA reliably. 23 If you see the following screen during reprogramming: DO NOT SWITCH OFF THE IGNITION DO NOT DEACTIVATE PAD MODE DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY CHARGER DO NOT OPEN ANY DOORS OR INSERT ANY SEAT BELTS DO NOT DISCONNECT THE DIAGNOSTIC CABLE Leave the car as is, and call TAS (Technical Assistance). If for any reason during the reprogramming, you believe the update is “frozen” or has otherwise failed: DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION OFF DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY CHARGER DO NOT OPEN ANY DOORS DO NOT DISCONNECT THE DIAGNOSTIC CABLE Leave the vehicle as is and call TAS for assistance. TAS will likely be able to help you recover the vehicle. Ignore these instructions from ISTA if they happen to appear. Follow the instructions above instead and CALL TAS. 24 5. “Executing measures plan” appears the top middle of the screen (header line). Check the content that is displayed in the “Information” dialog box, and then click “OK”. 6. “Warning!” and “Notice!” will be displayed in the “Attention!” dialog box. Check the content in the dialog box, and then click “Continue” to continue the “Action plan”. 25 7. Please check carefully the content displayed in the “Preparation for the vehicle programming” dialog box, and then click “Continue”. 26 The programming could take a long time. DO NOT disturb the vehicle until it’s finished reprogramming. Refer to the progress bar at the top of the screen to confirm the status. if you truly believe there is some problem with the vehicle reprogramming, DO NOT DISTURB THE VEHICLE, call TAS for assistance. The combination meter will turn off during reprogramming and the vehicle may look like it has been powered off. DO NOT press the Start/Stop button. Refer to ISTA for programming status. DO NOT put your head or hand in the window of the vehicle you are reprogramming. Since the window may close automatically at the time of initialization, there is the risk of being be pinched and injured. DO NOT open or close the driver’s door during the programming routine. The programming could take a long time. Ensure that the vehicle is not accidentally disturbed by other team members during the reprogramming. 27 8. The top middle of the screen (header line) switches to “Saving individual data”. “Save individual data HU-H” is executed first. If it completes normally, a checkmark (✓) is displayed in the “Status” column. Note: The icons in the diagram indicate the status. 28 9. The top middle of the screen (header line) switches to “Executing Software actions”. When “Warning” dialog box appears, click “OK”. 29 10. The reprogramming progress status of each ECU is displayed in the “Status” column. The overall progress status of reprogramming is indicated by “Executing software actions” at the top center of the screen (header line), which shows the reprogramming progress status and approximate “Remaining time”. • Even when the “Status” column is filled with checkmarks (✓), always check the display at the top center of the screen (header line) for the progress status, because initialization and other work is being carried out in addition to reprogramming. • Wait until the reprogramming in finished before manipulating the ISTA software to avoid interfering with the reprogramming. 30 11. “Executing follow-up operations” is displayed in the center of the screen (header line). Note: If the following “Information” dialog box is displayed during “Executing follow-up operation”, click “OK” to continue the follow-up operation. After reprogramming is complete, follow the on-screen instructions and carry out initialization and other work. 31 Note: If the following dialog box appears, click “OK”. 12. “Calculating final context” appears at the center of the screen (header line). At the same time, a “Please wait….” message appears to allow for the completion of the action plan. 32 13. After the “Status of action plan implementation” dialog box appears, click “OK”. 33 14. NOTICE: After reprogramming has completed Toyota-ISTA may request additional functions to complete. These additional functions may include initialization of seats, windows, mirrors or headlights. Toyota-ISTA may provide instructions such as ensuring there are no obstructions of the object that requires initialization. Please follow all necessary on-screen prompts and ensure that the vehicle is parked in a safe manner to complete each initialization. If these directions are not followed properly, the vehicle could produce additional DTCs. In the example shown below, the “ride height sensors: start-up” service function” needs to be performed. If ride height is required, you will need to insert the ride height for both the front and rear wheels. This will require you to measure this height in millimeters. The repair manual procedure can be found in this location: Vehicle Exterior > LIGHTING (EXT) > HEIGHT CONTROL SENSOR > INSTALLATION 5. ADJUST HEIGHT CONTROL SENSOR (DOC ID: RM100000001JCL5) 34 15. Click on “Action plan” 16. Check the I-Level. Make sure that the “(current)” and “(target)” I-Levels are equal. 35 17. Ensure the current I-Level meets or exceeds S18T-21-07-519. 18. If the I-Level does not meet or exceed S18T-21-07-519, go to Section X to confirm that you are using the proper version of Toyota ISTA. XVIII. DISCONNECT TOYOTA ISTA A. CLOSE OUT OF TOYOTA ISTA 1. Select “Cases” -> “Active” to display the “Case list”. 2. Confirm the vehicle information is correct, and then click “Close case”. Ensure the current I-Level meets or exceeds S18T-21-07-519 36 3. When the “Open actions in action plan” dialog box appears, click “Yes”. 37 4. Make sure that the frame of the icon at the left end of the toolbar at the top left of the screen has turned gray, and then click “×”. 5. You may have to click the frame icon in the left end of the tool bar in order to close the case. 6. Click “OK” when the “Close program” dialog box appears. 38 7. Open the driver-side door, press the Start/Stop button once, and then close the door. Note: PAD mode is turned off, and the headlights are turned off by opening the driver-side door, pressing the Start/Stop button once, and then closing the door. 8. Disconnect the ISTA diagnostic cable and battery charger. XIX. PLACE VEHICLE IN SLEEP MODE FOR 15 MINUTES A. Place vehicle in sleep mode for 15 minutes 1. It is necessary to place the vehicle in sleep mode for 15 minutes to allow the KOMBI and fuel tank ECU to establish the correct size of fuel tank. 2. Sleep mode can be activated by shutting all the doors, hood, trunk and parking the vehicle for 15 minutes with keys away from the vehicle. XX. CAMPAIGN DESIGNATION DECODER 19 19 = 2019 20 = 2020 21 = 2021 22 = 2022 23 = 2023 Etc… Year Campaign is Launched 19TA01 T T = Toyota L = Lexus Vehicle Make A A = Safety Recall Remedy B = Safety Recall Interim C = Special Service Campaign D = Limited Service Campaign E = Customer Support Program (May use other characters in unique cases) Field Action Category and Phase 01 01 = 1st Field Action of the year 02 = 2nd Field Action of the year 03 = 3rd Field Action of the year (The sequence is unique for each Field Action category) Field Action Sequence Examples: 19TA01 = Launched in 2019, Toyota, Safety Recall Remedy Phase, 1st Safety Recall Launched in 2019 20TC02 = Launched in 2020, Special Service Campaign, 2nd Special Service Campaign Launched in 2020 21TE05 = Launched in 2021, Customer Support Program, 5th Customer Support Program Launched in 2021 ◄ VERIFY REPAIR QUALITY ► • Confirm the I-Level meets or exceeds S18T-21-07-519. This Safety Recall is not considered compelted untli the I-Level of the vehicle is S18T-21-07-519 or greater.