April 13, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V257000
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V257
Manufacturer Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 279,040
Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain 2009-2015 Venza vehicles. The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) wiring may become damaged with regular use of the driver-side door.
Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace the driver-side front door wire harness, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 31, 2021. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331. Toyota’s number for this recall is 21TB01/21TA01.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
April 13, 2021
DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
- Vehicle Manufacturer Name:
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc. [“TMMK”]
1001 Cherry Blossom Way, Georgetown, KY 40324
Affiliated U.S. Sales Company:
Toyota Motor North America, Inc. [“TMNA”]
6565 Headquarters Drive, Plano, TX 75024
Manufacturer of Wire Harness Assembly
Yazaki North America, Inc.
6801 N. Haggerty Road, Canton, MI 48187
Country of Origin: Mexico
- Identification of Involved Vehicles and Affected Components:
Based on production records, we have determined the involved vehicle population as in the table below.
|Make/Car Line||Model Year||Manufacturer||Production Period|
|Toyota / Venza||2009-2015||TMMK||May 13, 2008 through July 8, 2015|
|Applicability||Part Number||Part Name||Component Description|
|MY2009-2015 Toyota Venza||82152-0T080||Wire, FR Door, LH||Wire Harness for Front Driver Door|
(1) Although the involved vehicles are within the above production period range, not all vehicles in this range were sold in the U.S.
(2) Only the subject vehicles, equipped with a wire harness of a certain design, manufactured by a specific supplier, are susceptible to the combination of factors that can lead to the condition described below. Other Toyota or Lexus vehicles sold in the U.S. are not equipped with a wire harness of this design.
- Total Number of Vehicles Potentially Involved:
- Percentage of Vehicles Estimated to Actually Contain the Defect:
Based on a non-representative market survey and evaluation of the vehicle design, Toyota used a predictive model to estimate that approximately 0.5% of vehicles may experience this issue.
- Description of Problem:
The subject vehicles are equipped with an airbag sensor installed in the driver-side front door. The sensor is connected to the Supplemental Restraint System (“SRS”) Electronic Control Unit (“ECU”) by a pair of twisted wires in a harness routed from the door to the vehicle body through a grommet. Due to a larger difference between the wire harness length and grommet length in this case, there is a tighter bending radius for the wire harness inside the grommet. If the SRS wires also are in certain locations within the wire harness, this could cause them to rub against the grommet. If the twisted pair of SRS wires also happen to overlap at the location where they rub against the grommet so as to concentrate stress on one wire, this can lead to that wire fracturing over time, depending on the use frequency of the driver door. If an SRS wire fractures, this could result in a DTC being set, the SRS warning lamp being illuminated, and the airbag sensor in the driver-side front door becoming inoperable. This may prevent the side airbag and curtain shield airbag on the driver side from deploying in certain types of collisions, increasing the risk of injury in the event of a crash necessitating the deployment of those airbags.
- Chronology of Principal Events:
April 2013 – January 2020:
Toyota began receiving intermittent field reports alleging SRS warning lamp on in the subject vehicles. Toyota was able to recover the driver-side front door wire harnesses from some vehicles, that were the subject of the field reports, to send to the supplier to investigate. In some cases, the supplier identified that an SRS wire in the driver-side door wire harness had broken due to a fatigue fracture but could not identify the cause of the fracture. The recovered parts were reviewed, and Toyota confirmed that the parts met all applicable design specifications. In parallel, in some cases, it was observed that there was evidence of potential outside influence (e.g., scratch marks found on insulation). Additional field reports were reviewed, and, in one case, it was observed that a grommet installed between the door assembly and the vehicle body was twisted. Toyota confirmed the process of the grommet installation with the vehicle manufacturing plant and did not identify any concerns with the grommet installation process. Toyota continued to receive sporadic reports from the field and recovered parts when available for evaluation.
February 2020 – June 2020:
Toyota reviewed some field reports and warranty data available to this point and decided to reconfirm the wire harness design. The wire harness design documentation was reviewed, and it was determined that the harnesses met the design specification. Based on observations from the most recent field case, Toyota decided to reconfirm whether there could be an issue with assembly of the grommet. Toyota then decided to identify a customer vehicle with the condition in order to inspect it.
In April 2020, Toyota found an in-use vehicle with a fractured wire in the driver-side front door wire harness. Toyota inspected the vehicle and recovered the part. Results of this inspection were inconclusive, as the original grommet assembly condition could not be confirmed, so Toyota continued to further investigate. To find additional parts for investigation, Toyota initiated parts recovery activity. Parts were recovered and inspected on an ongoing basis.
Additionally, the assembly process at the vehicle manufacturing plant was again investigated to reexamine the installation process and determine if the wire harness grommets in the subject vehicles were installed correctly during original assembly. It was concluded that there was no systematic error in the manufacturing process which would have caused this condition, and, therefore, grommet assembly position was determined to not be a factor.
In parallel, the supplier and Toyota reviewed past simulation tests that were conducted to confirm the durability of the wire harness during the development process. Results of these tests showed no wire breakage, and durability was according to specification.
July 2020 – September 2020:
Toyota requested the supplier to study the conditions needed to create a potential scenario that could cause SRS wire breakage. Based on recovered parts, Toyota hypothesized that tape used in a certain location on the wire harness could contribute to the higher stress which could cause wire breakage. The supplier therefore created simulated durability studies, which examined the influence of varying quantities of tape, to see if this created a higher stress point and could be causing wire fracture. Through this study, it was confirmed that the harnesses met the durability requirements. When this test was run beyond the durability requirements, to the point at which wires fractured, it was found that the wires that experienced the highest stress were on the outside and top of the wire harness bundle, and variation in tape had no significant effect on wire fracture.
At this time, an additional vehicle was also inspected, and it was observed that the SRS wire was in a certain position within the wire harness that was contacting the grommet at the point where wire breakage was observed. Based on this and review of other recovered parts and in-use vehicles, it was hypothesized that the breakage of the SRS wires may be occurring when those wires were located at the 12 o’clock to 1 o’clock position within the wire harness bundle.
Additionally, further design review found that the difference between wire harness length and grommet length was greater for the subject vehicles, compared to other vehicle models. As a result, a physical test was performed to evaluate this relatively shorter wire length as well as the SRS wire position hypothesized above. This study concluded that the 12 o’clock to 1 o’clock position did not result in breakage, and further investigation into the wire position was required. However, it was observed that the shorter wire harness length, as compared to grommet length, could result in increased interference between the grommet and wire harness during door open and close operation.
October 2020 – April 2021:
As a result of physical parts testing and review of in-use parts, Toyota found that stress was higher in twisted wires than non-twisted wires in the subject harness, as the twisted wires overlapping at certain points could lead to stronger interference with the grommet. Toyota hypothesized that this could be a contributing factor to wire fatigue fracture.
Toyota conducted additional physical testing, in tandem with computer simulation tests, as physical testing was limited in the number of parts that could be tested and the amount of time each test took. The purpose of the tests was to focus on the effect of interference between the grommet and the wires, the exact position at which an SRS wire would fracture within the harness, and the overlap of the twisted pair of SRS wires at certain points. These tests concluded that a fatigue fracture could be duplicated when the overlapping point of the twisted SRS wires consistently rubbed against the grommet at the 10 o’clock to 12 o’clock position.
As fracturing one of these SRS wires can lead to the airbag sensor in the driver-side front door becoming inoperable and prevent the side airbag and curtain shield airbag on the driver side from deploying in certain types of collisions, on April 7, 2021, based on the results of the above investigation, Toyota decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall campaign.
As of March 26, 2021, based on a diligent review of records, Toyota’s best engineering judgement is that there are 31 Toyota Field Technical Reports and 56 warranty claims that have been received from U.S. sources that relate or may relate to this condition and which were considered in the decision to submit this report.
- Description of Corrective Repair Action:
For all involved vehicles, Toyota dealers will inspect the driver-side front door wire harness and, if necessary, replace it with an improved one at no cost to customers.
Reimbursement Plan for pre-notification remedies
The owner letter will instruct vehicle owners who have paid to have this condition remedied prior to this campaign to seek reimbursement pursuant to Toyota’s General Reimbursement Plan.
- Recall Schedule:
Notifications to owners of the affected vehicles will occur by June 12, 2021. A copy of the draft owner notification will be submitted as soon as it is available.
- Distributor/Dealer Notification Schedule:
Notifications to distributors/dealers will be sent on April 13, 2021. Copies of dealer communications will be submitted as they are issued.
- Manufacturer’s Campaign Number:
[Interim / Remedy] 21TB01 / 21TA01
7 Affected Products
3 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
April 13, 2021 DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- 🚩2021 New Elite Version🚩Same Function As LAUNCH CRP123E 🚩Lifetime Free Update🚩5 YEARs Warranty 🚩Conact seller to get Free Gift 🚩Fast delivery by Amazon
- 🎁【Great Gift Idea For Every Car Owner】: Prefect choice for your father, husband, brother or boyfriend. EVERY CAR OWNER WILL NEED IT! It comes with high-quality host with a strong box. Get LAUNCH CRP123 Elite car diagnostic scanner and give your lover a surprise!
- 🚗【 Read & Clear/Reset Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool 】LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner can test Engine, Transmission, ABS and Airbag four systems, also reads and resets code, displays data stream graphic, stores and playbacks dynamic data stream,helps to quick analysis and diagnosis.
- 🚗【 Error Fault Code Reader 】Except the full 10 modes OBD2 diagnostic functions like, retrieving I/M readiness, Freeze Frame Data, Read Dynamic Data stream and Vehicle Information, O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test of Fuel Tank System (Mode 8) and Advanced On-board Monitoring (Mode 6), launch crp123 obd2 scanner can not only reveal what error codes your car is producing, but also erase your vehicle’s check engine light after problem fixed, the DTC help and explanation also tell you the exact problem.
- 🚗【 Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Print diagnostic data 】※Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem . ※ Large size Color Screen ;※ Print Function:Print the diagnose result easily; ※ with user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can Look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK.
- 📀【ABS&SAS&SRS SCANNER】FOXWELL NT630 Plus ABS & Airbag OBD2 scanner does not only provides accurate and professional diagnosis of ABS/SRS/SAS faults , but also removes air from the internal brake fluid chambers after servicing the brakes. 👉TIPS: It can not remove airbag crash data or collision data.
- 📀【ABS BLEEDING SCAN TOOL】Anytime the brake system is opened to replace components such as calipers, wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, or brake lines or hoses, air gets inside. The air has to be removed by bleeding the brakes if you want a firm brake pedal. You can use this diagnostic scanner to help bleed the brake, cycling the pump and valves during the bleeding process.
- 📀【ACTIVE TEST】The OBD scan tool temporarily allow you to active or control ABS/Airbag system and component, including switches, sensors, relays& actuators. It saving your time and labor costs.
- 📀【PERFECT COMPATIBILITY】The diagnostic scanner for automobiles is compatible with almost all OBDII cars, SUVs, minivans, light-duty trucks sold worldwide, Which makes it suitable for both mechanic and DIYers. ABS and SRS Coverage for 60+ Vehicle Makes. SAS calibration is on 30+ selected make.
- 📀【UPGRADE AND NO WORRIES】The update tool FoxAssist allows you update& uninstall software, save & print data, gaining more available vehicle models and language on the original basis free lifetime. And there is a technical assistance for timely and effectively solving the quality problem within 24 Hours.
- MAINTAIN PEAK PERFORMANCE AND SAFETY ON THE ROAD - The 5030 OBD2 Scanner helps you easily find the problem and fix the problem. The 5030 code reader gives you access to Innova’s best-in-class database. Access one of the largest correlated, cloud-based automotive diagnostic databases connecting you to a collection of verified fixes from ASE Master Technicians
- PREMIUM OBD2 CODE READER WITH ENHANCED COVERAGE AND FUNCTIONALITY - Innova’s 5030 OBD2 scanner empowers home mechanics, automotive enthusiasts, and service & repair technicians with professional-level functionality. It is a vehicle code reader that reads and clears OBD trouble codes and resets check engine light. This Innova scan tool supports English, Spanish, and French
- EASY TO READ SCREEN DISPLAYS CODE SEVERITY - The Innova 5030 OBD2 scan tool doesn’t just show you the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), it also displays the severity of the problem so you can make an informed decision on when you need to make the repairs
- EASY SELF-DIAGNOSIS OF EMISSION STATUS AND OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION - Know your smog check results before your state does. This car check engine light reader determines whether you’ll pass a state vehicle smog test. This engine reader includes functions for ABS (Brake), SRS (Airbag and Seatbelt) to make sure you’re always driving safely
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE WITH USA DESIGNED AND SUPPORTED PRODUCTS - Our California-based, ASE-Certified Customer Support Team is glad to assist you as you navigate through this product. It's a perfect diagnostic car scanner for all cars compatible, use it on any foreign or domestic 1996 or newer OBD2 car, light truck, SUV, or hybrid vehicle. Questions? We’re here to assist you
- 【POWERFUL FUNCTIONS】 The code reader LAUNCH Creader 8021 supports reading/ clearing DTCs, reading data stream for ABS and SRS system. In addition, oil reset helps reset the mileage to reduce the unnecessary problems; EPB reset helps users with Brake cable/ Brake pad replacement. SAS helps clear the faulty steering angle sensor memories and calibrate the steering angle sensor. BMS reset performs a reset on the vehicle battery for clearing the fault information and re-match the battery.
- 【EXTENSIVE COVERAGE】 The ABS/SRS diagnoses of this scan tool works on 46 vehicle brands from 2006-2016. Oil reset and EPB reset work on 40 car brands. Full OBD2 functions are suitable for most 1996 US-Based, 2001 EU-Based and newer vehicles. It reads common protocols such as ISO9141-2, ISO14230-4, SAEJ1850, and ISO15765-4.
- 【DIAGNOSE, RECORD, REVIEW】 You can do real-time DTC and datastream testing, and you can also record all the scanner testing and review all the data with this obd2 scanner. You can even print out the results on your computer printer so you can talk about the results later with your friends or fellow mechanics.
- 【WARRANTY & LANGUAGES】 This LAUNCH scan tool provides 12-month warranty and offers free internet update (Mini USB). Multiple languages: English, Spanish, French, Russian, German, Portuguese, Japanese.
- 【EASY ABS/SRS DIAGNOSIS】: The obd2 scanner diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes on most 1996 and newer major vehicle models. Turns off Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and ABS/SRS warning lights, clears codes and resets monitors. Note: For double check, please contact us through [email protected], we will check the vehicle compatibility for you.
- 【EXTENSIVE VEHICLE COVERAGE】: The scan tool works on most 1996 and newer vehicles (OBDII & CAN) including GM, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Nissan,Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat, Renault, Land rover, Jaguar
- 【WIDE CODES DIAGNOSIS】: The vehicle code reader retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3 and U0), manufacturer specific (P1, P3 and U1) codes and pending codes
- 【GRAPH LIVE DATA DISPLAY】: The diagnostic tool views freeze frame data; Reads, stores and playbacks live PCM data stream and live sensor data; Graphs data; Prints data via PC
- 【ONLINE UPDATE INCLUDED】: The obd2 scanner is Internet updatable and upgradable, we offer 12 months warranty insurance.
- 【2021 New Elite Version LAUNCH CRP129X】LAUNCH CRP129X is upgrade version of launch crp123x/launch vii+/launch crp129, 2 years free update & 5 Years warranty ➤Fast delivery by amazon. (PS. Contact seller “LaunchDirect” to get free Gift)
- 【MORE POWERFUL FUNCTIONS + ENHANCED HARDWARE】Based on LAUNCH CRP129, LAUNCH CRP129X scan tool adds two more reset services (TPMS reset, throttle adaptation), AutoVIN scan, 4 in1 graphing parameter, Automatic Health Report, Lifetime Free one-click Update, Online Google Search, Battery Voltage Test, navigation & hot keys. We also upgraded the hardware: Larger 5” touch screen, Fast 7.0 Android, 16G RAM, 6100mah BAT, to give you better user experience.
- 【5 SERVICE FUNCTIONS + AUTOVIN SCAN + DIAGNOSTIC REPORT GENERATION】This CRP129X obd2 scanner features 5 most used reset service: Oil Reset, Steering Angle Calibration, Electronic Parking Brake, TPMS Reset, Throttle Adaptation. The Auto VIN technology can identify vehicle make, model, and year information to shorten the vehicle navigation process. You can generate a vehicle health report by one-click and share to your email via Wifi which can help avoid blind maintenance, save time and money.
- 【ABS/SRS/AT/ENG SYSTEMS DIAGNOSTIC + LIVE DATD STREAM IN GRAPHIC+ DATA RECORD AND PLAYBACK】LAUNCH CRP129X scan tool reads graphic data streams for Engine/Transmission/ABS/SRS systems, and turn off the warning light related. Auto record diagnostic data, recorded data can be played back in text & graph format, helps to quick analysis and diagnosis. Playback supports 2 graphs or 4 PID's graphed. 9 Languages Support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean.
- 【LIFETIME FREE ONE-CLICK UPDATE + OVER 10000+ VEHICLE MODELS + FULL OBD2 COMPLIANT + BATTERY VOLTAGE TEST】One-click free update via Wi-Fi, fixed bugs, and Upgrade new make up to 2020 models. The LAUNCH CRP129X obd2 scanner works on 57 vehicle brands, Cover OBD1/OBD2/EOBD/JOBD vehicle, mostly manufactured after 1996. Reset DTC, I/M Readiness Status,O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test etc. Realtime battery voltage graphing helps to Judge the state of the battery.
- Check and clear diagnostic trouble codes
- Read freeze frame data
- Display real-time data (over 90 parameters!)
- Customizable dashboards
- Emissions readiness for each US state
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Andy Comeau, Courtney Henggeler, Nelson Franklin (Actors)
- Alonso Mayo (Director) - Alonso Mayo (Writer) - Nina Leidersdorff (Producer)
- (Playback Language)
- 【UPGRADED VERSION OF VII+/CRP123X&CRP129】: This scan tool is built with a larger 5” touchable HD 720P screen and keypad design for better operation,there are 5 more reset services (Oil/EPB/SAS/TPMS & Throttle Body Reset) compared with VII+&CRP123X, AutoVIN and automatic printable Inspection report help you get diagnostic information efficiently and effectively
- 【FOUR SYSTEMS DIAGNOSIS+ BATTERY VOLTAGE TEST】: This diagnostic obd2 scanner works for Engine, Transmission, ABS and SRS diagnoses, thus reading/clearing diagnostic trouble codes, showing live data stream, turning off the warning light related, besides,with the battery voltage test, you are able to monitor the battery voltage timely
- 【5 RESET SERVICES + AUTOMATIC AUTOVIN SCAN】: This code reader covers 5 most commonly used special reset functions including OIL/EPB/SAS/TPMS reset, and Throttle Adaptation to maintain your vehicle systems safely and efficiently, with the Automatic Autovin Scan, you may easily get the VIN
- 【FULL OBD2 COMPLIANCY + DATA RECORD & PLAYBACK】: This diagnostic tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII functions such as I/M Readiness Status, Live Data Graphing, MIL turn-off, etc., and works on most vehicles after 1996 compliant with OBD2 protocols , more than 57 brands. Data record,playback and printable Inspection report (share via email) make diagnostic information easily at your hands
- 【Mechanics with 40 years of experience Highly Recommended 】: This diagnostic automotive scanner perfectly fits for mechanics, work shop or individual users, it comes with the 5 years warranty for any quality problem. One-click WiFi free updates on internet for lifetime along with multilingual support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, etc.,
- 👍【ABS SRS DIAGNOSIS】: Autel AL609P OBDII Scanner can perform comprehensive diagnosis on ABS and SRS systems of OBD2/CAN compliant vehicles. This pro car diagnostic scanner reads and clears ABS, SRS codes and turns off ABS Airbag warning lights and reset monitors. NOTE: ABS SRS scan for AL609P is NOT universally compatible. Please send VIN number to 🚘auteldirect @ outlook.com🚘 to check compatibility.
- 👍【AUTO VIN AND DEEPLY DIAGNOSIS FOR SPECIFIC VEHICLES】: Autel AL609P Pro scan tool ONLY support following specific vehicles - Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, BENZ, VW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, KIA, HYUNDAI.
- 👍【COMPLETE OBD2 FUNCTIONS AND MORE】: AL609P OBD2 scanner supports all 10 modes of OBD diagnostic functions including read and clear fault codes, view freeze frame data, retrieve I/M readiness to pass smog check, view live PID data of multiple sensors in text or graph, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test(Mode 6), Component Test to check EVAP system, Module Present and view vehicle information(VIN, CIN and CVN). Autel AL609P comes with Auto VIN acquisition function for quick car diagnosis.
- 👍【TURN OFF CHECK ENGINE LIGHT】: Autel AL609P Auto Diagnostic Scanner helps you determine why the Malfunction Indicator Light is on. With the DTC lookup and Code Breaker function of this car code reader, you can quickly figure out where and how bad is the problem and get tips about how to fix it. Never get ripped off by dealership again!
- 👍【DATA PRINTING AND FREE LIFETIME UPDATES】: AL609P pro check engine code reader can read, record and playback diagnostic data and print data via windows-based PC. The car diagnostic tool comes with LIFETIME software updates and protected free from defects for 12 Months. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact 🚘auteldirect @ outlook.com🚘 for REPLACEMENT or FULL REFUND within 30 Days. Purchase now and go fix something!
Last update on 2021-04-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-04-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API